Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I appeal my taxes?

No you cannot appeal your taxes but you can appeal your assessment. Your assessment will determine how much tax you will pay. If you feel your assessment is unfair you must submit your appeal within 60 days of the mailing of your tax/assessment notice.

How is my Property Assessed?

All land is either assessed at market value or based on its productivity value if it is being farmed. Buildings that are not used for agricultural purposes are assessed at a market value. Farm buildings are exempt from assessment and taxation. Industrial properties such as oilfield equipment, pipelines, and power lines and are assessed at regulated rates as set out by the provincial government.

Why would my assessment differ from my appraisal?

Your assessment calculation is based on market conditions that existed on July 1, 2013 and reflects the physical condition of the property as of Dec.31 2013. While your appraisal is based on market conditions that exist at the time of the appraisal.

How are property taxes calculated?

Property taxes are determined by taking your total taxable assessment and multiplying it by the mill rate set by council.

                   Total Taxable Assessment X Property Tax Mill Rate = Taxes

Do I have to pay the education portion on my tax notice if I am a senior?

You are responsible to pay the total tax notice amount, but there is the possibility of receiving a education property tax rebate through The Alberta Seniors and Community Supports ( a provincial government program). If you have any question or wish to receive an application form you can go to their web site or can call them at 780-427-7876.