Development Information


Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Gas, and Private Sewage Permits

After obtaining a development permit you will require Safety Codes Permits (Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Gas, and Private Sewage). The County works with the City of Camrose to issue Safety Codes Permits. Information on these permits is available on the City of Camrose Website.

When Do You Need a Development Permit?

The County's Land Use Bylaw requires development permit approval prior to the commencement of any construction or land development. There are only a few types of development that do not require a Development Permit.

The following developments shall not require a development permit:

  • Maintenance - the carrying out of works of maintenance or repair to any building, provided that such works do not include structural alterations or major works of renovation.
  • Fences - the construction of gates, fences, walls or other means of enclosure (other than on corner lots or where abutting on a road used by vehicular traffic) less than one metre in height in front yards and less than 1.5 metres in side and rear yards.
  • Completion - the completion and use of a building which was lawfully under construction at the date of adoption of this bylaw.
  • Foster care - the provision of foster care in a private home.
  • Streets - the construction or maintenance of any utility, work or improvement in a street or utility lot.
  • Temporary buildings - a temporary building or travel trailer, the sole purpose of which is incidental to the erection or alteration of a building, for which a permit has been issued under this Bylaw.
  • Agricultural buildings
    • EXCEPT:
      • buildings and improvements forming part of an intensive livestock operation
      • farm buildings that do not meet the setback requirements of the Land Use Bylaw and the applicant is requesting a variance
      • farm buildings located within two miles of the City of Camrose, or one mile of the boundary of any other urban municipality, or one mile of an airport
      • farm dwellings
      • Despite not requiring a development permit, agricultural buildings must observe the setbacks from property lines set out in Part 7 of the bylaw.
  • Accessory buildings - accessory buildings smaller than 10 square metres, provided that they are set back from property lines by the distances set out in Part 7 of the bylaw.
  • Dugouts - dugouts in the Agricultural and Restricted Agricultural districts, but they must be set back from roads and property lines as if they were buildings.
  • Statutory exemptions - buildings and uses exempted by sections 618 or 619 of the Act.

Please contact the County's Planning & Development Department to determine whether or not a Development Permit will be required prior to commencement of any land use development or building construction you may be considering.

Is my building classified as a farm (agricultural) building?

Generally a farm building is defined as a building that: 

  • Does not include residential occupancy
  • Is located on a farm, is zoned agricultural, and directly supports the primary farm operation
  • Has low occupancy load (not a lot of people in it)
  • Is only used by farmer and farmer’s family

and the building is used for:

  • Housing livestock
  • Storing, sorting, grading or bulk packaging primary agricultural products, or
  • Housing, storing or maintaining farm equipment

Application for Development Permit

An application for a development permit shall include:

  • a completed development permit application form
  • a site plan, drawn to scale, showing:
    • the boundaries of the lot​
    • the locations of existing and proposed buildings
    • the front, rear and side yards
    • the drainage of the property
    • provision for off-street loading vehicle access and parking
    • proposed landscaping
    • any historic flood elevations
  • building floor plans and elevations and sections, if required
  • the application fee

2021 Fee for Service

How Long Does It Take?

Processing times for Development Permit applications vary depending on the type of development. The Development Officer must make a decision on a Development Permit within 40 days of receipt of the completed application, although typically development approval is granted much sooner.

A permitted use is usually issued within 7 working days.

A discretionary use usually takes one month due to extra processing requirements and because they must be reviewed by the Municipal Planning Commission.

Additional Requirements

Please note that obtaining a development permit does not relieve the permit holder from complying with:

  1. The requirements of the Alberta Safely Codes Act

  2. The requirements of any other appropriate federal, provincial or municipal legislation

  3. The conditions of any caveat, covenant, easement or other instrument affecting a building or land.

Restrictive Covenants, Easements and Caveats

Check that your proposed development, building or structure will not conflict with any restrictive covenant, easement or caveat registered against the title to the subject lands. Before any action is taken we advise you to search your land title to determine if a restrictive covenant easement or caveat is registered against the land. Be warned that a landowner or stakeholder with an interest in a restrictive covenant, easement or caveat registered against your title is entitled to take legal action against you should you violate or fail to comply with the requirements of the covenant, easement or caveat.

Where to Apply

Planning and Development Department
Camrose County
3755 - 43 Avenue
Camrose, AB T4V 3S8

Department Phone: (780) 678-3070
Main Switchboard: (780) 672-4446
Fax: (780) 672-1008
Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:30 am -12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm

What If My Application Is Refused?

If the application is refused, you have twenty one days from the date on the notification of refusal to appeal.

An appeal must be submitted on the Subdivision and Development Appeal Form and must be accompanied by the development appeal fee. The appeal will be heard by the Development Appeal Board.

Additional Links